At Christmas I’m a self-proclaimed decorating nut. I’ve collected and made holiday decorations for decades and my home reflects this passion. There are 4 decorated trees in our home (before downsizing I used to do 7) and every room from the kitchen to the laundry room sports a bit of Christmas decor.
If you’re not up this “the full meal deal” in holiday decorating you can create a warm and welcoming holiday home with some simple “a la carte” items. It’s easy, quick and inexpensive to decorate your home for the holidays with just holiday greens and a few decorations - just follow my six simple decorating tips.
1. Front Door – Welcome guests at the front door with a lovely wreath – all natural or glistening with decorations.
2. Entryway/Hallway- Hang a garland on a stair banister or decorate a console table with holiday florals, greens or candles.
3. Fireplace Mantel – Hang a wreath above the mantel, even on a mirror. Cluster candles or silvery vases of staggered heights on the mantel and intersperse with cut greens or swag a garland of greens along the mantel.
4. Bathroom - Place holiday hand towels and add a festive touch with winter florals or greens and a scented candle or two.
5. Tables – Greens and candles or greens and ornaments create simple but beautiful table decor for the holidays.
6. Aromas – Fill your home with wonderful smells. Use scented candles, a rattan reed diffuser, bowls of potpourri or sprinkle cinnamon on a baking sheet and place in a warm oven. The scents help create a warm, comforting environment.
Share Your Tips
What’s your favorite tip for decorating your home during the holidays? Do you decorate the same each year or is each December a new adventure? When do your decorations go up and when do they come down? What’s your decorating tip that makes the biggest impact in your home?