Dining tables, buffet sideboards, sofa tables, coffee tables, entry consoles and end tables all provide surface space for creating interesting decorative tablescapes for the holidays. No matter the size or shape of the space you have to work with, there are six tips for using design elements that will help you create an attractive tabletop display.
1. Pay Attention to Proportion- When selecting the elements to use in your tablescape make certain to vary the heights and sizes of the pieces. Think tall and short – big and little. Mix it up.
2. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat -Use the main color of a scheme numerous times in the tablescape and in various items. Also, select enough of a particular type of item so it is repeated numerous times in the tablescape, enough to really make a visual statement.
3. Add Texture – Aim for a mix of textures: combine shiny and matte; select soft and hard; use smooth and rough. Make it interesting.
4. Consider Symmetry- Provide balance and formality to your tablescape by using symmetry. Place matching trees or candles and holders near both ends of a tables. Set a matching figure on each side of your centerpiece.
5. Use Odd Numbers- Although not a hard and fast rule, using an odd number of elements often makes arrangements more visually pleasing. Also using heights and levels to display objects is appealing – three accessories in a triangular format of tall, medium and low is appealing.
6. Mix Lines and Curves - Using a combination of line styles – vertical, horizontal, round, curved, diagonal- adds interest and dimension to decorating.
Share Your Tablescape Tips
What are some of your favorite tabletop decorating tips for the holidays? Do you use tablecloths, runners, or placements? What about greens and flowers? How do you tie your decorations into the display? What makes it easy – and with what do you struggle? Share you ideas and input by clicking on the comment link below.