Today is Earth Day! Last year I wrote a post titled Earth Day Starts at Home to celebrate. It outlined small things to do to your house that have a big, cumulative impact on both your quality of life and your wallet -while treating the environment kindly.
I still believe Earth Day starts at home so today we’ll celebrate Earth Day with tips for decorating your home using just three environmentally friendly and green ideas.
5 Green Decorating Tips
1. First and foremost use what you have: Fix it, clean it, mend it, repair it, paint it, slip cover it or recover it if you can. There are a lot of things you can do to items you already own in order to make them “new again.”
For inspiration consider how I turned dirty, dated outdoor furniture into attractive and usable pieces – read about it here.
In another post read here how I repurposed an old shelving unit to fit with my current style.
Read here how a little spray paint changed a chrome toilet handle so it matched a bronze faucet.
You can also read here how a small amount of fabric easily recovered a bench.
2. Choose used: If you don’t have a piece to update or repurpose, consider buying used. There are great buys on Craig’s List, at thrift shops, antique stores and swap meets. In addition to saving money, trees and fuel on shipping, the craftsmanship on older pieces is often better than what you get for the same price new.
3. Exchange what you have for what you want: Pull together a group of friends for a home accessory and furniture exchange. Everyone brings accessories and photos of furniture pieces they no longer use or want and exchange them for items others want to let go! Maybe the brass tray you’re tired of is just what your neighbor needs for a wall display – and perhaps the bird print toss pillows she no longer wants will work great in your study. Make it a fun get-together and “go shopping” right at home.
4. No-VOC paint: Paint is an easy way to decorate and when you do, opt for no-VOC or low-VOC paints that don’t include the toxic fumes of regular paint. Read reviews of these these type of paints here.
5. Make your own artwork: Get creative – display photos, paintings, collages, and other items you and your family make using recycled items.
Make Everyday Earth Day
Be good to the earth everyday by putting these five easy, earth friendly decorating tips to work in your home. Then add to the list! What will you do to celebrate Earth day and everyday as Earth day?