Every summer I have great plans to make changes in my home. But then reality sets in: the kids are home all day, summer vacation arrives, the weather is so nice I simply have to go outside, guests come to visit …….. It happens to all of us – big plans, no time. So I suggest making a few little spruce up touches in each room so that they feel fresh and different and then go outside and play with the kids.
QUICK AND EASY BEDROOM CHANGES
- Nothing says “summer ease” like a clutter free area. Clear dresser and nightstand tops of all extra accessories and clutter. Then put back ONE fabulous item.
- Add lots of light, breezy white: pillows, billowy curtains, a lightweight throw, a fluffy rug – crisp white always personifies summer.
- Bring out a couple of family pictures of a vacation at a beach or summer house or running through the sprinkler. Don’t have a summer picture? Grab the camera and go outside and take a picture of your garden or a bee in your garden or garden tools leaning against the house …. what says summer to you?
- A super easy change is, of course, to change the accent pillows on your bed. Even just one or two in a bright, fresh, summery color can make your bedroom feel new.
- Bedrooms should be the cocooning, restful place in the home. Embrace the calm by picking your favorite quiet music and stocking the nightstand with a few favorite magazines or books you’ve been meaning to read. Then close the door and enjoy the peace and solitude.
- Don’t feel like painting a whole room when the sun is so inviting? Try adding a block of new color by changing the draperies, changing the bedspread, adding a colorful throw rug next to the bed. For the more ambitious, paint just one accent wall – easy to complete in an afternoon leaving you plenty of time to enjoy the outdoors.
- Add some new scented candles or potpourri in your accent color. Keep the scent light and subtle.
You should easily be able to pick 2 or 3 of the ideas above and complete them in an afternoon. Then spend the rest of the summer enjoying a bedroom that feels fresh and new.