1. This arrangement is a gorgeous reminder of fall and I found it on Eddie Ross’s site (remember him from Design Star?). He used a $15 flea market container and the basic floral techniques I described in my post. The difference is he really stuffed the arrangement and made sure all the flowers/fruit are snuggled up to each other for this lush look. His site has all sorts of projects and quick craft ideas.
2. The Inspired Room featured this collection of goodies that have been gilded for an elegant touch for fall. Gilding can be done with a can of metallic spray paint (use a really light touch) or a dry brush technique with metallic accent paint. For something really dramatic, combine gold and silver on one item. Everything is fair game…gild gourds, plastic fruit shapes, terra cotta pots (they’ll look much more expensive than their humble origins), bowls, fabric, picture frames…… I’ve linked to Melissa’s post listing some more great fall nesting ideas – check them out.
3. I want this elegant and dramatic fall entrance! Gilding at it’s best …. again from The Inspired Room.
4. Okay, how about a little shopping? Found this charming, whimsical pillow at Gumps ($76). Enjoy Great Savings at the Gump’s Spring Sale – Up to 60% Off
5. A couple of ETSY finds: Halloween ledge sitter that’s 12 x 5 inches from Allys Attic Crafts ($10) or vintage black lace earrings by White Owl ($22).
6. A clever use of a pumpkin – make a planter for fall mums and hang it like this one or make a row of them going up your walkway or porch steps. Poke a drain hole or two in the bottom with a screwdriver or something similar and line the inside with some plastic or just leave the mums in their planter pots. Easy, creative and fun. My favorite things!
7. For you photographers out there, JPG online magazine is sponsoring a photo contest that ends Oct. 29 and the theme is “Orange”. There are some great entries already and it’s fun to browse through all the visual eye candy featuring orange….. Click on ‘themes’ in their top menu to browse the open contests.
If you’re like me and having a tough time recognizing it’s time for fall decor, these should bring you around. If you try the pumpkin planter or gilding or have another idea, please share… We all love fall and are looking for ways to celebrate it.